Saturday, April 7, 2012

Talking with Lover

These poems were written after meeting Dawn's grandmother who the family called Lover.  She was colorful, to say the least.  She lived to attend our marriage, but these poems were written after that , probably in the early 1980' and , based on a night of conversation with her at her apartment in Southhampton.  I distinctly remember coming into her apartment in the middle afternoon and her first suggestion was that I 'make myself a highball', totally baffling to a recent college grad in the '80s.  I found her charming and hilarious, as I did my own grandmother, but I heard that she was a force of nature in her day.  As a child, she was bilingual in German and had visited her family in Northern German with her mother.  Her father worked at the Arion Club in New York and they lived in apartment there for a time. I tried to capture her voice and cadence in these poems.

i
I remember very clearly,
very clearly,
the kitchen, lace curtains and
the little garden
outside the door and the long window

like this, you see.

They had a bowl of cherries on the table
- always adults around me then - and
they told me not to eat anymore.
But when they left,
I did,
pits and all.

Yes, that must have been in
nineteen and four

or five.

ii
This is my father.
(The proud
moustachoed
German,
stout as a puppy,
on his horse in Central Park.)

He died of heart failure
at the age of thirty.
Mother believed it was
because of the five flights he had to walk up
to where we lived above the Arion Club.
When Mother told me - I was six -, I said
"Aber Mutter, musst du wieder trauen."

I accepted it.

iii
(She glows like sixty years ago,
dusky hair in a thick braid next to
her dark eyes and girlish smile.)

We walked arm in arm along the beach
but the next day her brother came and told us
that she had died.  Of polio, the night before.
Her mother never recovered from her grief.

We had walked arm in arm - that day!

So you see, there have been sorrows
like your own

great sorrows.







No comments: