Sunday, October 3, 2010

Imperatrix Mundi

Recently, I was down in the basement trying to save what is left of my library from the rot and spiders and I brought upstairs a copy of Modern British Poetry, edited by Louis Untermeyer, 1958. I had carried this book with me when I traveled in 2003 and had highlighted several poems I liked (and will share here later).  Imagine my surprise, however, when on the back flyleaf I found the following poem. It touches on the ultimate mystery (for me anyway) which is the nature of women.  Originally the poem wasn't a 'shape poem', but as I crafted the line breaks, I saw the diminishment and when I put it into center justification . . . well, how could I resist?  As soon as I found it I began to think about what art to include and supporting materials.  I love Klimt (what man wouldn't?);  I love the colors and the women he portrays.  But you know what? This image scares the bejesus out of me. Zoom in on those pitiless eyes.
The second item is the quote from "Carmina Burana" and is where the title of the poem came from, obviously.  I know everybody knows the music from Fortuna Imperatrix Mundi because it is used every time guys are doing something 'manly' (check out the YouTube entries for Carl Orff or Carmina Burana if you have any doubt.) One exception on YouTube is a series that portrays the story of the lyrics themselves which were purported to have been Medieval student drinking songs.  However, I don't think a lot of people have listened to the entire piece (I have owned it on vinyl for years), or every read the lyrics.  Below is the second half of the Fortuna section, "Fortune plango vulnera (I bemoan the wounds of Fortune)" Fits in very nicely with my poem, I think.  (Always a danger when quoting poetry that is better than yours in the same post - but what the hell.)  You can read the full lyrics at http://www.classical.net/music/comp.lst/works/orff-cb/carmlyr.php . Check out the Image source link for some very interesting background on the Klimt image of Pallas Athene and his use of mythological symbols in his work.  Good stuff.


"You didn't seem to be aware I was even there . . .", she said.


Put on your leafy crown of gold and line your eyes with kohl.
Set aside your garments and stand above me, fierce
And terrible.  Your every gesture, curve of hand, 
Reflects control. You madden in your mystery, 
Reveal every curve, but I can't pierce the
Deeper Core - it lies beyond, though I 
Will give my soul for an instant in
Your Man-consuming furnace.



Fortune plango vulnera (I bemoan the wounds of Fortune)

Fortune plango vulneraI bemoan the wounds of Fortune
stillantibus ocelliswith weeping eyes,
quod sua michi munerafor the gifts she made me
subtrahit rebellis.she perversely takes away.
Verum est, quod legitur,It is written in truth,
fronte capillata,that she has a fine head of hair,
sed plerumque sequiturbut, when it comes to seizing an opportunity
Occasio calvata.she is bald.
In Fortune solioOn Fortune's throne
sederam elatus,I used to sit raised up,
prosperitatis variocrowned with
flore coronatus;the many-coloured flowers of prosperity;
quicquid enim floruithough I may have flourished
felix et beatus,happy and blessed,
nunc a summo corruinow I fall from the peak
gloria privatus.deprived of glory.
Fortune rota volvitur:The wheel of Fortune turns;
descendo minoratus;I go down, demeaned;
alter in altum tollitur;another is raised up;
nimis exaltatusfar too high up
rex sedet in verticesits the king at the summit -
caveat ruinam!let him fear ruin!
nam sub axe legimusfor under the axis is written
Hecubam reginam.Queen Hecuba.



 Image Source

No comments: